Bars, Cafés & Shops
Not For Profit; Just for Students
Durham Students' Union is a charity exempt of registration (not an unregistered charity) and is 66% self-funding. It operates the largest licensed premises in Durham and accommodates up to 1250 people at any one time. On average 3000 students a day come into the union to make use of the various services that are based in Dunelm House.
DSU's services aren't like normal commercial services, though. The money we generate from the shops, bars, cafes and events is used to fund all the great things the Union has to offer; like a free Advice Centre, student activities, your own radio and newspaper, and campaigns and representation. It's not that we don't make a profit, because we do. It's what we do with it that's the difference. The extra money we make gets ploughed back into running the Union for our members.
DSU's services include:
- Kingsgate Bar, the main bar in Dunelm House
- Riverside Cafe, DSU's main catering outlet in Dunelm House
- Coffee Corner, providing fresh coffee in Dunelm House
- Cafe's in the Library, the Chemistry Building, the Calman Learning Centre and the Oriental Museum; providing top-quality food and drink wherever you are.
- Vending machines throughout the University
- The Student Shop in Dunelm House
- The Queen's Campus Shop in the Holliday Building, Queen's Campus
- Publications and media, including Palatinate, Durham's award-winning student newspaper, durham21, winner of the NUS media awards in 2001,2002,2003 and 2005 and Purple Radio our online radio station
- Ents including DSU's weekly sold-out club night, Planet of Sound and Saturday indie-themed night Revolver.
NUS Extra Card
NUS Extra is the definitive student discount card with a range of exclusive discounts, offers and competitions designed to make student life more exciting, more memorable and more rewarding.
Use it to make your money go further on books, clothes, sports stuff, CDs, travel, computer gear, gigs, eating out... We've got discounts on the essential things in life and some great savings on life's little luxuries as well. All of our discounts are exclusive to NUS Extra cardholders, you won't be able to access any of these great deals without our little orange card.
And not just in the UK either; your Extra card doubles as an International Student Identity Card, so you can use it to get special offers and discounts when you're travelling abroad as well in over 100 countries.
Not bad for just a tenner!
If you have any comments or suggestions about DSU's commercial services please contact me.
DSU Treasurer 2007/08